Have you just moved into a trainer role or responsible for facilitating training programmes?
Would you like to enhance your understanding of learning behaviours and expand your repertoire of training techniques?
Train the Trainer offers a highly practical customised and comprehensive experience aimed at adult training. You will learn how to design, plan and deliver high-impact training sessions. It covers everything you need to know to be effective and you’ll have the chance to create and work on your own classroom sessions, trainer style, experiences and needs.
Learn how to train effectively and boost the morale, professionalism and productivity of your staff by attending this course.
Most people became trainers by choice, however, many managers and supervisors are required to be involved in training or mentoring programmes. Whether you have been training for a while or just about to step onto the training platform, this course will take you through the learning and training process to help show you how to build confidence, engage your audience and leave your trainees invigorated and motivated to put their learning into practice.
“The only reason for training is to achieve learning shifts in people, and/or to transfer that learning back to ‘real work’. Essential Training Skills for Trainers works from these two fundamental essentials; delivering against them in a dynamic, pragmatic, rigorous and reality-based experience. Make every second in a training session count” - Trainer Penny Holden
TAKE HOME DVD
Attendees will have the opportunity to be filmed delievering their own presentation and take home the DVD as a learning resource. This course offers a comfortable, confidential and fun environment to help you perfect your training techniques.
“The instructor was easy to follow and open to questions. She was careful to ensure everyone understood the course content. I have learnt skills that I’m sure I will utilise in the future and that will help me in my career development” - Zoe Thomson, Land Information Administrator, Franklin District Council
NEW SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
- Develop a list of skill and knowledge based competencies that match your job or training requirements
- Prepare specific training objectives and plans that are designed to achieve your desired results
- Design and plan a training programme with defined structure, content and methodology
- Deliver complete on-the-job training sessions that include explanation, demonstration and practice
- Identify the elements of a positive training environment and use them to make your training both interesting and results-focused
- Learn assessment tools to measure the developing competency of your staff, making sure they are achieving the results you want
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the training by demonstrating the link between training and workplace performance
- Understand the fundamental role that Emotional Intelligence and group dynamics play in training and facilitation
The Trainer Role
- Role of the trainer
- Model for effective learning in the workplace
- Role of the manager
- Role of the trainee
- Trainer as a consultant
- Maintaining learning relationship
- Developing a strategy for your workplace
- How do adults learn best?
- Learning styles
- Overcoming obstacles to learning in adults
- Implementing competency based training in your environment
Analysing Training Needs
- Distinguishing between a performance problem and a training need
- Conducting a practical needs analysis in the workplace
- Determining what training is relevant to the job
- Developing a task analysis that determines task content, criteria and conditions
From Training Needs to Clear Learning Objectives
- Implementing standard based competencies as a basis for training
- Writing performance objectives
- Setting performance criteria as a baseline for on-the-job performance
- Planning makes perfect
Designing a Training Session Plan
- Recognising the characteristics for a learner-centred session plan
- Trainer and learner’s actions during the training session
- Planning and designing your own session plan for an upcoming training session
- Creating practical exercises, role plays, group solving exercises and discussions
Creating a Positive Training Environment
- Identifying elements of a positive training environment
- Setting up the learning environment correctly, timing and logistics
- Resources – Writing training notes and documentation
- Conducting an on-the-job training session that includes explanation, demonstration, practice and review
- Handling difficult situations and individuals
Styles of Delivering
- Outlining different methods of training to motivate learners to learn
- Exploiting technology and other visual aids
- Best practice tools and techniques to build rapport, motivate your audience and keep training alive
- Role plays
- Discussion groups
- Developing your own personal style to match a multitude of training events
- Methods for closing courses
- Body language, voice control and eye contact to enhance your credibility
- Emotional Intellligence- What is it? Why develop it and how?
- Group dynamics – The fundamentals
Evaluating and Giving Feedback
- Considering the levels of evaluation and assessment
- Obtaining feedback from participants about initial reaction to the training
- Assessing learning
- Identifying changes in the on-the-job performance
- Assessing the difference learning makes for the workplace
- Incorporating participant feedback into future training
- Identifying whether the skills learnt have been implemented in the workplace
- Providing feedback of results - Techniques to reinforce and encourage learning and application of skills
Assessing Transfer of Skills
- Determining the best time and the best place to assess learning
- Developing a range of assessment techniques to measure learning achievement
- Practising rapport building techniques
- Recognising skills, qualities and characteristics of a successful trainer
Penny Holden has over 18 years in the field of learning and development as trainer, leader, manager, coach and programme designer. Operating in New Zealand, the UK and Australia, Penny has the enviable position of having trained in all sectors (private, government, corporate, NGOs) and across most industries. She brings this in-depth knowledge and experience to offer insightful, rigorous and highly practical and motivating training.
Her training programmes are packed with practical ideas, tools, up-to-date information and strategies for success. She actively works with participants to make training as individual and valuable as possible, ensuring a return on investment. Programme expertise includes leadership and management training, and developing people capability and organisational effectiveness at all levels.
Penny Holden is also facilitating:
- Advanced Train the Trainer
- Change Management for Managers in Times of Restructuring & Redundancies
- Communicating with Diplomacy, Influence and Credibility
- Dealing with Difficult People for EAs & PAs
- Development and Training Needs Assessment
- Effective Performance Conversations
- Facilitation Skills
- Internal Consulting Skills
- Tackling Challenging Conversations for EAs & PAs
- Tackling Challenging Conversations for Team Leaders & New Managers
- Team Leaders & Supervisors Masterclass
- The Influential Leader
Add extra people for just $1295 applies to this event:
Register two or more people from your organisation on this course at the same time, and the second and subsequent people pay only $1295 + GST each.
|Dates||Location||Super saver price*||Last minute price|
|26 - 27 Aug, 2013||Auckland||$1995 + GST|
(SS Date: 1 Jul, 2013)
|$2295 + GST||Register|
* Super saver price available when you register and pay before the dates listed.