Compliantly Managing Hazardous Substances in your Organisation
- Learn how your organisation is impacted by the transfer of the regulations from HSNO to HSWA
- Comply and safely manage hazardous substances throughout their lifecycle
- Focus on the importation, transport, storage, use, use in manufacturing, and disposal
- Gain the knowledge you need to develop safe policies and procedures
This course is designed for persons responsible for the compliant and safe management and handling of hazardous substances in their organisations. The changes brought about by the transfer of the Regulations from HSNO to the Health and Safety at Work regime and consequent changes to the roles of the EPA and WorkSafe New Zealand make clear the requirements around the management and disposal of hazardous substances.
Hazardous substances are often stored or used in ways which can pose a risk to the health & safety of; workers in a workplace, other persons including the general public, and the natural and built environment. To minimise possible adverse effects, it is crucial to identify and manage the risks that are associated with the various substances being used as a responsibility of the PCBU.
This course provides information and a practical overview of the risk management processes as applied to those industries which manage hazardous substances. The course includes discussion of the legal test of ‘So Far As Is Reasonably Practicable’ (SFAIRP) risk assessment methodologies. The interactive nature of the course will enable you to deepen your understanding of hazardous substances classifications including wastes and unwanted substances, safe use of plant, equipment and PPE, recording of training and supervision, and matters affecting personal health from a toxicological perspective.
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES:
- Increase your knowledge of Performance Legislation & know what is required to comply with the training and supervision regulations.
- Be able to determine if the waste is hazardous & learn how to identify the risks associated with using and storing hazardous substances
- Be able to access reference material including Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Develop an understanding and gain an appreciation for the requirement for an inventory
- Discuss the safe use of plant, equipment and PPE
- Understand the importance of personal health
- Learn what to do in the event of an emergency; both workplace and environmental
- Gain an understating of the responsibility of the Person Conducting business or undertaking (PCBU) from a company and employee level.
WHO WILL BE THERE?
- Hazardous Substance Specialists
- Land Contamination and Remediation
- Lab Managers and Team Leaders
- Regulatory Managers
- EHS ManagersLaboratory Team Leader
- QHSE Assessor
- Resource Manager
- PCBU CEO’s and Board Members
CERTIFICATE OF ACCREDITATION
All attendees to a Brightstar course receive a Certificate of Accreditation acknowledging their training and their journey to New Skills, New Thinking.
Independent research has verified that this recognition is highly valued by your employees.