Compliantly Managing Hazardous Substances in your Organisation
Understand the different approach taken by Performance Legislation as opposed to Prescriptive Legislation, the roles, responsibilities and liabilities on PCBU’s, Officers and Workers. And the roles of the regulatory authorities controlling hazardous substances and wastes
The Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- The meaning of PCBU, Officers and Workers
- Duty of Care
The Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016
- Duties to provide information supervision, training and instruction,
- Duty to provide first aid,
- Duties related to health monitoring of workers
The Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017
- Duties to manage inventories, labelling, signage, emergency management, storage, workrooms and stationary container systems
- Location Certification requirements – Classes 2,3,4,5,6, & 8
- Certified Handlers & staff training to Regulation 4.5 & supervision to 4.6
- Management of Laboratories to Part 18 of the Regulations
- Approved cylinder Fillers Certification
- Transit Depots, tankwagons and transportable containers
- Stationary and Process Containers
Resource Management Act 1991
- Discussion related to District and Regional Plans
- Duties and liabilities related to discharge of wastes and contaminants
- Sensitive receiving environments
Fire and Emergency New Zealand Act 2017
- Fire and Emergency New Zealand (Fire Safety, Evacuation Procedures, and Evacuation Schemes) Regulations 2018
- The Building Act 2004 and related documents – F3 – Hazardous substances and processes
- Land Transport Rule 45001
Be able to access reference material including Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- The EPA has been tasked as an enforcement agency with respect to SDS imposing duties on importers, manufacturers and suppliers. The course explores EPA Hazardous Substances (Safety Data Sheets) Notice 2017, the advantages of CAS numbers to access information.
- Identification of and explanation of the classifications and from that; the physical risks including fire.
- The EPA substance approvals database and future directions in global harmonisation
- The EPA database of the 2017 Group Standards
- The EPA Hazardous Substances 2017 Notices
Appreciate the importance of the legal requirement for an inventory
- The importance of an inventory of hazardous substances linked to storage requirements, and risk management
Discuss the safe use of plant, equipment and PPE
- Understand the legislative controls applicable.
Know what is required to comply with the training and supervision regulations.
- Rex will explain the training regime requirements pursuant to The Health and Safety at Work (General Risk and Workplace Management) Regulations 2016: Regulation 9 and the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017: Regulations 4.5 and 4.6 including Certified Handler certification.
Understand the importance of personal health
- Explore levels of exposure indices; Health monitoring and surveillance; regular testing of workplaces and work areas; The responsibility of the PCBU
Know what to do in the event of an emergency; both workplace and environmental;
- Emergency plans; additional duties of the PCBU; involvement of the emergency services; emergency shutdowns; HAZCHEM Codes, Fire extinguisher use and risks, availability of site plans and inventories both on site and after the premises have been evacuated
Determine if a waste is hazardous
- Waste that comes from work involving a hazardous substance is likely to be hazardous, the course explores examples of hazardous waste and the rules surrounding the EPA Hazardous Substances (Disposal) Notices 2017
- Wastes generated from the use of hazardous substances can vary from marginally contaminated to which the rules fully apply; to
- Wastes that bear little relationship to the parent substances and must be evaluated and classified depending on the new hazard and the risks from the hazard; or
- Wastes that are unwanted hazardous substances, some no longer legal that must be controlled under their original approval controls and disposed of accordingly
Person Conducting business or undertaking (PCBU)
- Discuss the responsibilities and obligations of your business in terms of risk to the business, equipment and personnel in employment. PCBU Liability under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.