Effective Policy Analysis & Development
Anyone involved in the public policy process needs in their possession strong analytical skills, and the ability to apply a variety of research and evaluation methods within a complex political environment. This course will review analytical approaches that are essential for effective policy development. It will cover the nature and role of policy analysis, interactions among social institutions, markets, and government. There will be in-depth examination of how to conduct effective policy analysis, manage the policy development process, and produce sound, persuasive policy reports.
Key Learning Outcomes
- What policy analysis involves and its typical institutional settings
- The attributes required to be an effective policy analyst
- What role government plays in society and its limitations and strengths compared with other social institutions, including markets
- How to integrate market analysis, cost-benefit analysis, comparative institutional analysis, and evaluation methods into your policy research
- How to effectively engage in consultation, team work, and conflict management during policy formulation
- How to clearly scope and develop your policy ideas and present your policy analyses effectively for multiple audiences
- How to work effectively with others to promote sound policy solutions
The course is organised into a series of modules, each of which involves a formal presentation of material followed by structured discussions and case work. Participants are encouraged to relate elements of each module to their current preoccupations and practices. As the course proceeds, the material moves from a focus on concepts to a focus on applications. The modules are supported by written notes and guides for additional reading.
Who Should Attend?
All those involved in planning for, and producing policy at a local and central government level, including policy analysts who are new to their role, or analysts who would like to update and refresh their policy skills.
CERTIFICATE OF ACCREDITATION
All attendees to a Brightstar course receive a Certificate of Accreditation acknowledging their training and their journey to New Skills, New Thinking.
Independent research has verified that this recognition is highly valued by your employees.