Effective Tender Preparation and Evaluation Techniques
Introduction to procurement
• The big picture of procurement
• Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
• Best Practice
Developing your sourcing strategy
• Examining the tender/RFP process as a concept and its significance and place in the procurement and project management process
• Defining your objectives, scope and boundaries
• Examining the relationship framework
• Can this process itself be outsourced?
• How to prepare budgets and identify purchasing authorities
• Planning and staffing requirements for procurement projects
• How to reduce effort, time and costs
• Analysis of the reasons why tenders/ RFPs can fail to deliver
Understanding the professional tender/RFP process
• Exploring the various stages of the purchasing process:
- Expressions of interest
- Requests for information
• How to use the RFI conference and/or briefings
• RFP closure process
• How to assign the right staff and professionals
• Techniques for goods/services analysis
Writing and advertising the tender/RFP
• Writing the proposal and specifications to attract high quality bids
• How prescriptive should your specifications be?
• The role of performance based specifications
• How to apply TCO
• Ensuring the design of your contract captures all of your objectives and expectations
• Tailoring your contract to guarantee the terms and outcomes meet your needs
• Incorporating performance measures into your contract
• The pre-qualification process - when to use it
Examining the sign-off and approval process
• Analysis of the role of the sponsor and user group in the tender/RFP process
• How to develop your business case before the approval meeting
• What techniques are available for streamlining the approval process?
• Successful techniques for how to plan and staff the evaluation team
• How to be objective and fair when assessing tenders/RFPs
Developing effective evaluation models for the tender/RFP process
• What are the most effective evaluation methodologies available?
• Effective techniques for filtering tenders/RFPs to reduce effort while increasing effectiveness
• Best practice techniques for documenting evaluation models
Best practice procedures for rejecting proposals
• How to rank and shortlist tenders/RFPs
• Designing benchmark criteria to evaluate expressions of interest and bids
• Establishing a review panel: Who should be involved?
• How to assess minimum conformity to process when evaluating tenders/RFPs
• Effectively assessing negotiable contractual arrangements
• Recognising the signs of minimum compliance
• What is tolerable risk and how do you assess it?
• How do you assess costs?
Evaluating your suppliers: Developing key measures for a total cost and value approach
• What are the roles and responsibilities of a procurement manager in the supplier relationship?
• Creating a supplier development plan
• What are the key phases of supplier management?
• Analysis of the practical tools available for effective supplier management
• Developing tools and techniques that can be applied to any supplier relationship
• How can you measure supplier performance?
• The future of supplier relationships in the electronic age
• Assessing the value of moving to a partnership agreement
• How to move towards a total cost value partnership
Managing the legal issues in the process
• The growing demand for performance- based contracts
• Determining the rewards/penalties to encourage contractor performance
• What do you do when it all falls apart?
• The remedies available for breach of contract including damages, specific performance and injunctions
• Examining the risk factors for the claimant
• Termination of the agreement
Post tender/RFP activities: Negotiating and awarding the contract
• Methodologies for responding to client queries
• Advising the successful applicant
• Obligations regarding tender/RFP rejection
• The legal pitfalls
• Post tender/RFP negotiations
• RFP tags
• Letters of intent