Finance & Accounting Essentials for the Non-Financial Manager in the Public Sector
A new 2-day intensive and practical course
Are you a Manager, Leader, or in a supporting role in Government or the wider Public Sector and need more knowledge and confidence around how accounting, finance & budgeting plays into the success of your role?
A firm knowledge of how accounting and finance systems work and an insight into the meaning behind the jargon and why things are done the way they are is important. A working understanding of best practice budgeting and cost management is crucial for best performance in your role.
Managers, especially those new to management positions, need to not only be adept at their specific area of expertise, but also to be able to confidently and competently manage the financial health of their business unit. A firm grasp of key finance and accounting concepts is seen as essential for career progression and your effective participation in the strategic and financial decision-making and analysis required of you by your Executive Leadership Team.
This in-depth and intensive 2-day course is designed specifically for you. It gives you the knowledge and confidence so that you understand:
- Why accounting, finance & the numbers matter
- The key building blocks of financial control
- Government and Local Authority funding & budgetary cycles
- Managing the financial health of your unit
- A new manager’s guide to budgeting
- Drawing it all together for effective decision making
Key Learning Outcomes:
At the conclusion of this course you will have:
- Clarity and confidence in your knowledge of finance & accounting principles and terms specific to the Government and wider Local Authority environment
- The ability to connect facts with figures and communicate with your Executive Leadership Team in financial terms
- Understanding of the building blocks of the financial control of your business unit or area of responsibility
- Insight into cash flow, cash flow statements and how cash must be managed
- Understanding of deep impacts of cost
- The building blocks to assist you in budgeting
- Knowledge of how to deploy your new understanding of finance & accounting in your decision making, including investment and project appraisal, where appropriate.
Who Should Attend
Managers, Heads of Departments, Team Leaders, Business Unit Leaders, General Managers and those new to management positions in Central or Local Government and the wider Public Sector such as Education and Health.
CERTIFICATE OF ACCREDITATION
All attendees to a Brightstar course receive a Certificate of Accreditation acknowledging their training and their journey to New Skills, New Thinking.
Independent research has verified that this recognition is highly valued by your employees.