Leadership, Culture and Collaboration in Health & Safety
Concepts & Theory
• What is Safety Culture?
• Safety Culture & Safety Climate
• Safety Leadership
• Safety as a ‘social’ framework
Attitudes, Behaviours and Culture
• Creating a Positive, Proactive Safety Culture
• Attitude-Behaviour-Culture model
• Modern motivation theories examined
• The four principles of motivation
• Incentive Programs - can you take advantage of natural human instinct e.g. competitiveness between work peers?
• Understanding what will change and communicating it to relevant people
Designing a Safety Culture / Perception Study
• What are the first steps in bringing about change?
• Encouraging development of best practices
• Designing a survey that works for your organisation
• Incorporating your organisation’s requirements
• Getting active involvement and participation
• Interpreting results
• Feedback and plan of action
Common challenges and barriers to safety culture development
• Improving reporting when not visible on site
• Challenges with money and management: hazards recognised but difficulty with elimination
• Getting buy-in
• Measuring change
• How to reward / or not!
Measuring Safety Culture
• Safety Culture Models e.g. James Reason & Patrick Hudson
• Safety Culture Indicators
• Assessment of Safety Culture
• Analysing past data and KPIs – key lessons learned?
• Collecting feedback from employees: internal surveys and motivation to participate
• Principles behind Just Culture
• Punishment versus learning in the context of error and violation
• A practical approach to implementation