Management Accountant: The Strategic Partner
Overview and discussion: Understanding the context MAs operate in now
- The macroeconomic environment: How does what’s happening out there affect what’s happening in your organisation?
- Analysing the shift in the MA’s role
- The expectations and responsibilities that come with it
Core skills of Management Accounting:
Understanding Key Business Drivers: Data for financial analysis
- Identifying the information you need
- Building your data gathering tool box: Pros and cons of popular approaches
- Getting the right snapshot from your dashboards
- Working around limitations
Developing your Balanced Scorecard
- Effective design and core components checklist
- Cascading your scorecard
- Cost management: Addressing budgeting issues
The practicalities of moving away from traditional budgets
- Creating a lean budget
- Accuracy in forward looking forecasting
Understanding the impact of change: Modelling scenarios
- Acknowledging challenges and tackling inefficiencies in the process
- Bringing in a functional expert: When, how and why?
Streamlining reporting practices
- KPI reporting: Identifying and implementing benchmarks to report against
- Dealing with the continuous need for information
- Establishing what needs to be included in your reports and what doesn’t
- Making your information “management friendly”
Becoming a Strategic Partner
- Core elements of successful business strategy
- Some strategic thinking tools.
- Understanding links between Operational strategy and Strategic management?
- Identifying key stakeholders and what they need to know
- Establishing yourself as a Trusted Adviser and Business Partner
- The science and art of influence and persuasion
- Powerful Questioning: Shifting peoples thinking with the questions you ask.
- Communicating well with non-financial professionals.
- Enabling strategic decision-making
An introduction to change management
- What drives change?
- Change models: conventional and non conventional.
- Understanding and working with resistance.
- Helpful implementation hints and tips.
- A management accountant’s contribution to change?