VBA for Financial Professionals
Understanding Visual Basic for Applications
- Overview of what you can do with VBA and how your organisation can benefit
- Ways VBA can improve the efficiency of accounting and management processes and allow easier access to information
- Automating chart creation and formatting in Excel
Creating macro shortcuts
- How do you record a macro?
- Linking macros to shortcut keys
- Autoloading macros and shortcuts
- Creating your personal macro file
Network accessible Excel addins
- Generating addins
- Automatically loading addins
- Making addins do something automatically whenever a user opens a spreadsheet
Toolbars and menus
- Adding items to existing menus
- Linking menu items to macros
Data analytics and reporting
- Performing data processing, calculations and analysis using VBA
- Data modelling and analytics
- Creating report generation tools in Word and PowerPoint using VBA to automate reports from Excel data
Dashboards and wizards
- Creating simple interfaces for other users
- Using VBA to create dashboards in Excel
Recording & editing macros
- What does recorded macro code looks like?
- Editing Macro code: using Visual Basic Editor
Writing visual basic code from scratch
- What is a variable?
- What is a statement?
- How is program “flow” determined?
- Understanding the object model and spreadsheets
- More VBA terms: subs, functions, arrays, loops, logic etc
- Code syntax and notation for objects
Debugging your macros
- What happens when you make a mistake?
- Tools for testing and debugging code
- Differences between macros and functions
- Defining a function
- Constraints when working with functions
Extending your uses of VBA
- VBA for other Office packages such as Access, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
- Downloading data from the web or intranet using VBA
- Using VBA to share data and automate communication between your databases (such as cognos) and Excel
- How do you reference one Office application from another?
- Controlling one office application from another
- Sending information and data between office applications